Laos–Thailand

The Laos–Thailand boundary follows rivers (primarily the Mekong) for 60 percent of its 1,898 kilometer (1,180 mile) length and watersheds for the remaining 40 percent. The boundary was delimited and adjusted through a series of agreements between France, on behalf of French Indochina, which included Laos, and Siam, as Thailand was then called, between 1893 and 1946. Modern-day relations between the two countries, though sometimes strained, are good enough that a Joint Border Demarcation Commission has demarcated the majority of the overland sections of the boundary. However, the precise alignment of the boundary in the riverine sections is often unclear.

Map showing the land boundary between Laos and Thailand

Purchase the complete Laos–Thailand Boundary Brief

$30.00Add to cart

Linked In YouTube
Subscribe to our newsletter (and receive a free map!) SUBSCRIBE